Meet the man who invented the world renowned multitool – Tim Leatherman, founder of the Leatherman brand.
Tim, will be giving a brief talk on the history of this iconic outdoor brand.
You can create a collector’s item by having Tim Leatherman engrave a personal autograph on your favourite Leatherman on the day, bring or buy the latest edition.
• Tim Leatherman and Steve Berliner are the men behind the Leatherman Tool Group, formed in 1983.
• Tim is a mechanical engineering graduate (1970).
• Tim began designing his ‘Boy scout knife with pliers’ after a 1975 trip with his wife to Europe and the Middle East where they had only a simple pocket knife with them. They needed to repeatedly repair their vehicle and faulty hotel plumbing.
• Their first multi-tool was initially called ‘Mr Crunch’ (patented in 1980) and sold as the Pocket Survival Tool (PST) in 1983 by mail-order. This model was retired in 2004.
• In 1984 they sold almost 30,000 units!
• Leatherman multi-tools are manufactured in Portland, Oregon.
• They have 49 products that are sold in 82 countries and they have 55% of the domestic (US) market share.
• A typical Leatherman tool goes through 300 production processes to become the final product.
• Website: www.leatherman.com
This Tim Leatherman info on Cape Union Mart website.